[vtkusers] How much memory vtk lib can handle???

luisc l.perez at iturribizia.com
Mon Dec 12 13:18:01 EST 2005

A value stored as a double requires 64 bits (8 bytes) and stored as a
float requires 32 bits (4 bytes). So, if we use double coordinates, a
point requires (at least) 3 x 8= 24 bytes and 1000000000 point require
24000000000 bytes ~ 24 GB, it isn't?. So you need much more memory than
you have to store such big collection of points.

Regards.