[vtkusers] VTK/Python on AIX 5.3 on Power5

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Dec 5 10:19:49 EST 2005

Jens Thomas wrote:
> VTK works fine if I use the vtkpython binary that is generated during
> the build.
>
> Unfortunately, the vtkpython binary has paths hard-wired into it and I
> would like to be able to move my vtk distribution about - as ideally
> I'd like to make the whole package available for users of our software
> so that they don't have to go through all the trouble I've been
> through and can just drop it onto their machine.

If you use VTK 5.0 or VTK from CVS the python packaging support has been
improved over previous versions.  Just set CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to
somewhere nice and run "make install".  You will get an install tree
that can be moved anywhere as long as relative paths within the tree
stay the same.  The vtkpython executable only hard-codes the path to the
build tree so it can detect whether it is running from the build or
install tree.

-Brad