[vtkusers] problem computing the volume of a tetrahedral cell

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Tue Aug 30 12:52:42 EDT 2005

The implementation of ComputeVolume uses a determinant, not surrounded
by an absolute value. I guess the volume is signed depending on the
orientation of the points of the tetra (positive for a right-handed
tetra and negative for a left-handed tetra).

I don't know if it is an expected behavior or not.

Anyway, It may mean in your case that the output of
vtkDataSetTriangleFilter does not produce right-handed tetra. Maybe
because the input itself has bad oriented hexahedra.

I'm just guessing. Maybe somebody else has a better answer.

Vines, John (Civ, ARL/CISD) wrote:
> All,
> I am trying to compute the volume of a tetrahedral cell using the "vtkTetra::ComputVolume()" method.  I do not understand why I am getting negative values?
>
> At present I am converting hexahedral cells to tets using the vtkDataSetTriangleFilter().  I then feed in the points from each tetrahedral cell to the vtkTetra::ComputeVolume() method.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time
>
> John Vines
> Army Research Laboratory
> Scientific Visualization Team

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive