[vtkusers] Re: Problems with vtkTextProperty and an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Fri Aug 26 08:02:21 EDT 2005

Hi Stephan,

 > since I have this new laptop with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphic
 > chip, the text passages (especially these ones of the
 >
 > vtkScalarBarActor) on the vtkRenderWindow seem to be rendered wrong. You
 > can not read the text correctly because it is
 >
 > rendered bad legible. Especial when you move with an object over the
 > text. When I turn off the hardware acceleration inside
 >
 > the graphic driver all seem to be okay. But that can not be the solution
 > of my problem. Can someone here help me out with my
 >
 > problem? Some hints what I can do with the driver or from the vtk point
 > of view? I am using vtk 4.5 on Window XP with service pack 2.
 >
 > Thank you very much in advance and best regards,
 >
 > Stephan

I've had problems with vtk and ATI Mobility Radeon 9600... basically
rendering anti-aliased fonts would cause a crash (it also depended on
the size and font). Changes to vtk last August fixed it for me though.
See here:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2004-August/075648.html
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2004-June/074632.html
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2004-June/074608.html

and the faq:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#What_Graphics_Cards_work_with_VTK

If you're using an old version of vtk, upgrade to a version that was
built after last August and see how it goes.

hth

Goodwin