[vtkusers] Re: [Spam:5] [Insight-users] converting medical images from unsigned short to unsigned char

Stephen R. Aylward aylward at unc.edu
Wed Aug 17 12:06:30 EDT 2005

Most analog image display are driven by 8bit a-to-d converters, so you
won't notice a degradation in image quality on your monitor if you
display the image using 8 bits.  However, since the recorded range of MR
images is generally higher, you need to allow the user the ability to
specify window and level settings for converting the MR recorded
intensities into displayed intensities.

ITK provides the GLSliceView class and the ImageViewer application to
demonstrate how to do this mapping/display using GL.

VTK has the vtkImagePlaneWidget that provides interactive window and
level settings and the display of 3D images.   You can easily pipe your
ITK image to it using the VTKToITK functions demonstrated in the
InsightApplications subdir.

Stephen