[vtkusers] Problems Installing VTK on Solaris 8

Andrew Wilford andrew at artwork.com
Fri Apr 29 11:42:20 EDT 2005

Hello,

I've been working on this for a couple of days now and am running out of
ideas. I've been trying to install VTK on Solaris 8 so that I can run C++
and TCL examples. I find I can't do both. I have tried the SUN and GNU
compilers, but neither seems to help. My current setup is the most
successful. I used SUN compilers to install and compile TCL/TK and VTK,
along with a -KPIC option. The C++ examples work okay, but when I execute a
command like

wish8.3 Cone.tcl

I get:

couldn't load file "/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkCommonTCL.so": ld.so.1:
wish8.3: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkCommonTCL.so: symbol __1cG__CrunKpure_error6F_v_:
referenced symbol not found
can't find package vtkCommonTCL 4.2
can't find package vtkcommon 4.2
can't find package vtk

Curiously, if I invoke

vtk Cone.tcl

it works. Does anybody know what is going on and how I can get this working
with both languages? Thanks in advance!

Andrew Wilford