[vtkusers] lighting in copied images

Nigel Nunn nNunn at ausport.gov.au
Mon Apr 11 11:32:35 EDT 2005

Hi James,

On Tue 12 Apr 2005 [j.robinson at kepler-systems.com] wrote

> A few weeks ago I sent in a question to which, I assume, nobody
> had the answer. To reiterate, it was in regard lighting and a
> phenomenon whereby an image which had suitable lighting when
> rendered on screen became dark (dull) when copied and pasted or
> printed. Please advise.

When I last looked into this behavior (Vtk4.2, Win2K, VC6) I recall
this problem arose after I added my own custom lighting to a scene.
During the copy operation, an off-screen render operation checked
for custom lighting, and if not present, added a default headlight.
In this case the copied scene was brightly lit.  However, if the
routine found my own lights in the pipeline, it did not add the
headlight, and (as I recall) did not add my lighting as expected.
I did not pursue the issue, as other things came up, but I agree
this would be worth fixing.  Since there has not been any further
discussion, this may only apply to Win32 renderers?  For me, the
problem arose when dumping bitmaps into an AVI stream (movies).

Nigel

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that
any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information
in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and notify the sender.
Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport. Visit www.ausport.gov.au