[vtkusers] using vtkFeatureEdges

Matt Schmiermund matt at plasticflow.com
Fri Apr 1 14:10:34 EST 2005

I am trying to display only the outline of an object I
have. Someone on this list suggested using
vtkExtractEdges or vtkFeatureEdges. After looking at
the two it appears that vtkFeatureEdges should do what
I am looking to do.

However I have been unable to get anything to display
when using this class.

Here is a piece of my code:

edgeExtractor->SetInput(reader->GetPolyDataOutput());
  edgeExtractor->ColoringOff();
  edgeExtractor->BoundaryEdgesOn();
  edgeExtractor->ManifoldEdgesOn();
  edgeExtractor->FeatureEdgesOn();

  outlineMapper->SetInput( edgeExtractor->GetOutput()
);
  outlineActor->SetMapper( outlineMapper );
  outlineActor->GetProperty()->
     SetRepresentationToWireframe();
  outlineActor->GetProperty()->SetColor( 0,0,1 );

Where reader is a vtkDataSetReader, edgeExtractor is a
vtkFeatureEdges, outlineMapper is a vtkPolyDataMapper.

When I try to add outlineActor to the render window
nothing appears.

If anyone has used this class before or noticed
something I missed I would appreciate the help.

-Matt Schmiermund