[vtkusers] wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor and wxPython 2.5.2.8

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Wed Sep 29 11:32:45 EDT 2004

> I was not talking about Mac Yes/No. I was talking about Carbon vs.
> Cocoa. I agree with you totally that on a Mac, things should look like a
> Mac app. But for a wxWidgets user it should not matter if wxWidgets is
> using Carbon or Cocoa underneath.

I always though there were some slight differences between the two
toolkit, other than the programming langage, correct ?

> I hope you are not saying that this is an inappropriate list to ask
> these questions. Since wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py is part of VTK, I
> thought it only logical to ask this list first.
>
> The problem with these kinds of bridge classes is that only very few
> people know about their inner workings and about what can/can't be done.
> Since you also have a C++ wxVTK class that supports Mac OS, I thought
> you might possibly be able to shed some more light on this, or maybe
> point me to the original developer of that specific piece of source
> code. If not, too bad, and I will look further.

Having dig into wxWidgets source, I know I had to use something like
MacGetTopLevelWindowRef. Which for me make me thing there might only be
only on render window per app (if anybody can correct me on that). The
thing I don't know is if this has been done for supporting older Mac,
and if now it is possible to have two VTK window within the same app (=
two different NSWindow/NSView carbon speaking).

Does that make sense ?

What I would try -if I had some time- is to create a pure wxWidget app
that open two wxWindows, and check that wxWindow::GetHandle is
different. If so there is not reason we cannot make VTK works properly
on the Mac (at lease some recent version).

Mathieu