[vtkusers] wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor and wxPython 2.5.2.8

Sander Niemeijer niemeijer at science-and-technology.nl
Wed Sep 29 11:16:06 EDT 2004

On woensdag, sep 29, 2004, at 16:31 Europe/Amsterdam, Mathieu Malaterre
wrote:

> I am sorry where did you read that ? Download 2.5.2 and you'll see
> obj-c for Cocoa all over the place...

Ah. I see it now. My mistake. I had looked for it, expecting it to be a
specialization of the mac port (with sources in
wxPythonSrc-2.5.2.8/src/mac), but appears to be implementated as a
special cocoa port (enabled with --with-cocoa and sources in
wxPythonSrc-2.5.2.8/src/cocoa).

>> I also don't see a point in trying to create a version of wxVTK that
>> supports Cocoa anyway. People who use wxVTK are using wxWidgets, so
>> they shouldn't care about the kind of OSX GUI framework that is used
>> underneath (that's the whole reason of wxWidgets existence). If
>> Carbon works fine, that should be enough, right?
>
> That's the exact contrary, I was using wxWidget only for cross
> plateform issues. But if you a Mac user and you are send a product
> that look like a Motif app, you would very suprised, even disapointed.
> GUI has to be what user expect it should look like. If on Mac Yes/No
> is placed the contrary than on Window, we should respect that. Help
> box has to be at the same place, file browser should be the Mac one,
> and not some windows'like and so on and so forth.

I was not talking about Mac Yes/No. I was talking about Carbon vs.
Cocoa. I agree with you totally that on a Mac, things should look like
a Mac app. But for a wxWidgets user it should not matter if wxWidgets
is using Carbon or Cocoa underneath.

>> However, that still leaves my questions about the top-level vs.
>> lower-level windows. Do you know why for Carbon only the top-level
>> window handle can be retrieved via GetHandle()? Isn't it possible to
>> have a VTK widget in some subpanel of a Carbon wxWidgets window? Does
>> this maybe already work or is it otherwise theoretically possible to
>> implement such a thing? Anybody ever investigated this?
>
> You should ask a Carbon ML for that, or wxWidgets ML ...

I hope you are not saying that this is an inappropriate list to ask
these questions. Since wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py is part of VTK, I
thought it only logical to ask this list first.

The problem with these kinds of bridge classes is that only very few
people know about their inner workings and about what can/can't be
done. Since you also have a C++ wxVTK class that supports Mac OS, I
thought you might possibly be able to shed some more light on this, or
maybe point me to the original developer of that specific piece of
source code. If not, too bad, and I will look further.

Best regards,
Sander