[vtkusers] Link errors when building VTK with Python on Mac OSX Darwin

Jens Thomas j.m.h.thomas at dl.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 06:47:25 EDT 2004

Hi

I'm currently trying to get vtk to build with the Python wrappings on a
Mac OSX Darwin (the output of the sw_vers command is: ProductName: Mac
OS X, ProductVersion: 10.3.5, BuildVersion:   7M34).  The problem seems
to be that the cmake is somehow losing the location of the python
libraries so that ld can't find them.

Unfortunatley, although I'm fairly happy playing around on Unix boxes,
this is my first experience of a Mac since I had a Mac Classic (in the
good old days... :-) ), so I'm a little confused about how theiswhole
framework thing works.

I've included the the output from the last bit of the build where it
goes pear-shaped and a snippet from the Python bit of CMakeCache.txt
file where it looks like the relevant libraries have been located, but
for whatever reason aren't being propagaged through to the Makefile.

If any one can offer me any advice or pointers to where I should be
looking for more information, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,

Jens

Output from the last bit of the build:

Building shared module /Users/jens/VTK/bin/libvtkFilteringPython.so...
/Users/jens/cmake/bin/cmake -E remove -f
/Users/jens/VTK/bin/libvtkFilteringPython.so
c++ -bundle    -o /Users/jens/VTK/bin/libvtkFilteringPython.so
vtkCardinalSplinePython.o vtkCastToConcretePython.o
vtkCellLocatorPython.o vtkColorTransferFunctionPython.o vtkConePython.o
vtkCylinderPython.o vtkDataObjectSourcePython.o vtkDataSetSourcePython.o
vtkDataSetToDataSetFilterPython.o vtkDataSetToImageFilterPython.o
vtkDataSetToPolyDataFilterPython.o
vtkDataSetToStructuredGridFilterPython.o
vtkDataSetToStructuredPointsFilterPython.o
vtkDataSetToUnstructuredGridFilterPython.o vtkImageInPlaceFilterPython.o
vtkImageMultipleInputFilterPython.o
vtkImageMultipleInputOutputFilterPython.o vtkImageSourcePython.o
vtkImageToImageFilterPython.o vtkImageToStructuredPointsPython.o
vtkImageTwoInputFilterPython.o vtkImplicitBooleanPython.o
vtkImplicitDataSetPython.o vtkImplicitSelectionLoopPython.o
vtkImplicitSumPython.o vtkImplicitVolumePython.o
vtkImplicitWindowFunctionPython.o vtkKochanekSplinePython.o
vtkMergePointsPython.o vtkPerlinNoisePython.o
vtkPiecewiseFunctionPython.o vtkPiecewiseFunctionShiftScalePython.o
vtkPiecewiseFunctionSourcePython.o
vtkPiecewiseFunctionToPiecewiseFunctionFilterPython.o
vtkPointSetSourcePython.o vtkPointSetToPointSetFilterPython.o
vtkPolyDataCollectionPython.o vtkPolyDataSourcePython.o
vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilterPython.o vtkRectilinearGridSourcePython.o
vtkRectilinearGridToPolyDataFilterPython.o vtkScalarTreePython.o
vtkSimpleImageToImageFilterPython.o vtkSimpleScalarTreePython.o
vtkSpherePython.o vtkSplinePython.o vtkStructuredGridSourcePython.o
vtkStructuredGridToPolyDataFilterPython.o
vtkStructuredGridToStructuredGridFilterPython.o
vtkStructuredPointsCollectionPython.o vtkStructuredPointsSourcePython.o
vtkStructuredPointsToPolyDataFilterPython.o
vtkStructuredPointsToStructuredPointsFilterPython.o
vtkStructuredPointsToUnstructuredGridFilterPython.o
vtkSuperquadricPython.o vtkUnstructuredGridSourcePython.o
vtkUnstructuredGridToPolyDataFilterPython.o
vtkUnstructuredGridToUnstructuredGridFilterPython.o   -L.
-L/Users/jens/VTK/bin -lvtkFiltering -lvtkCommon -framework AppKit
-lpthread -lm
ld: Undefined symbols:
_PyArg_ParseTuple
_PyArg_VTKParseTuple
_PyFloat_FromDouble
_PyInt_FromLong
_PyString_FromString
_PyVTKClass_Check
_PyVTKClass_New
__Py_NoneStruct
vtkPythonGetObjectFromPointer(vtkObjectBase*)
vtkPythonGetPointerFromObject(_object*, char const*)
_PyVTKClass_vtkLocatorNew
_PyErr_Clear
_PyVTKClass_vtkScalarsToColorsNew
_Py_BuildValue
vtkPythonCheckArray(_object*, int, float*, int)
_PyVTKClass_vtkImplicitFunctionNew
_PyVTKClass_vtkSourceNew
vtkPythonCheckArray(_object*, int, int*, int)
_PyVTKClass_vtkPointLocatorNew
_PyVTKClass_vtkDataObjectNew
_PyVTKClass_vtkCollectionNew
_PyVTKClass_vtkObjectNew
make[3]: *** [/Users/jens/VTK/bin/libvtkFilteringPython.so] Error 1
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Filtering] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

Snippet from CMakeCache.txt:

//Python Framework
PYTHON_DEBUG_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=-framework Python

//Path to a program.
PYTHON_EXECUTABLE:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/python2.3

//What is the path where the file Python.h can be found
PYTHON_INCLUDE_PATH:PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/include/python2.3

//Python Framework
PYTHON_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=-framework Python

//Utility library needed for vtkpython
PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=PYTHON_UTIL_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND