[vtkusers] compiling VTK with MPI LAM : C++ problem

Michael Dussere dussere at labri.fr
Tue Sep 7 10:08:57 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have just re-installed VTK with lam/mpi and I have re-faced the
problem of missing MPI C++ symbols when I link. This is because the
mpi.h includes the mpicxx.h (useless with VTK).

/*
  * Conditional MPI 2 C++ bindings support
  * Careful not to include it while we're building LAM (because it won't
  * exist yet)
  */
#if LAM_WANT_MPI2CPP & !LAM_BUILDING
#include <mpicxx.h>
#endif
#endif

The first solution consists in linking liblammpi++ with VTK

   MPI_EXTRA_LIBRARY /usr/lib/liblam.a ; /usr/lib/liblammpi++.a

But VTK does not use the lammpi++ symbols so you can just modify
"lam_config.h" and comment this line for the compilation.

   /* Whether we can MPI 2 C++ bindings support or not */
   // #define LAM_WANT_MPI2CPP 1

--
   Michael Dussere