[vtkusers] problem with vtk on linux (debian) with opengl libs from ati radeon

Meshulum Laks mlaks at verizon.net
Sun Oct 17 16:06:47 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am working with vtk on 2 different systems. Both are running debian linux
sid.

I installed the debian vtk packages on both machines. On the cheapo standard
video card (using the mesa opengl libraries i guess) machine, the vtk
packages work fine. the tutorial examples work with both python and c++
versions.

On the second machine  I  installed a ati radeon 9800xt video card with the
proprietary ati opengl packages. This is giving me trouble.

The programs compile fine however when i run the tutorial programs i get
nonsense images (random coloured flickering pixels instead of the "nice
rotating cones" of the tutorial).

I abandoned the debian vtk precompiled binaries and  then downloaded and
compiled and installed the latest release version of the vtk kit (although i
had it on both disks from both the textbook and users guide it was easier to
download...) as well as the data etc. I compiled and set the environmental
variables to point to the local install /home/mlaks/VTK, and nonetheless
still get the same effect - nothing more than flickering pixels. No
Cones!!!!

Note that the card works fine with the gears examples from ati and the fxgl
variant gears examples that ati provides. 600+ frames per second etc.
Similarly with Qt gears examples in the opengl examples section of the
qt3-examples package.

I would like to take advantage of the (!expensive) cards memory and pipeline
for vtk/opengl (thats why i bought it! not for games :) ). What can i do to
set it up???

Thanks!
Mitchell