[vtkusers] Mac Child Window Handling

Karl Merkley karl at elemtech.com
Fri Oct 15 11:52:03 EDT 2004

I'm looking at vtkCarbonRenderWindow and trying to figure out what
should happen if I have a vtk window that is a child of another window
under Mac OS X.  This works nicely on both Windows and Linux but it  is
not working correctly on the Mac.  In doing some research, it looks
like the Mac (AGL) method of handling child windows is very different
and that perhaps this has not been completely implemented yet in the
vtk Carbon stuff.  There is a comment from the latest CVS snapshot that
says "if we are a child we'll need to do something smarter."  I don't
know if that means that the code that is there is doing something
smarter or if more needs to be done to make it smarter.

Has anybody looked at this in detail?  Any basic ideas on what should
be done?   I'm willing to give a crack at making it work.  It appears
that at the very least AGL_BUFFER_RECT needs to be set for a child
window.  It might also be necessary (or more efficient) to look at
AGL_CLIP_REGION to set the clipping area.   Does anybody have any
experience or guidance with this?  Am I making this harder than it
really is?   I'm looking at examples and feeling my way along.

	TIA,
		Karl

Karl G. Merkley
karl at elemtech dot com