[vtkusers] Error message with new CVS version

Amy Henderson amy.henderson at kitware.com
Wed Nov 24 14:25:44 EST 2004

Hi Charles,

We are in the middle of changing the readers, sources, and filters in VTK
to use the new pipeline architecture that was recently introduced.  In this
process, the reader, source, and filter classes are becoming subclasses of
vtkAlgorithm instead of vtkSource.  We are maintaining backward
compatibility for classes directly subclassed from the classes in Filtering
(e.g., subclasses of vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter).  Since this is not the
case for your class, you will need to change your class to use the new
pipeline architecture.  In the Utilities/Upgrading directory, there is a
file called TheNewVTKPipeline.pdf.  This document introduces you to the new
pipeline and provides some direction for converting an existing class to
the new pipeline.  There is also a CMake script in that directory
(NewPipeConvert.cmake) that will help you in the process of making the
conversion.  Instructions for using the script are contained in the PDF.

- Amy