[vtkusers] Error message with new CVS version

Charles Boivin cb at rwdi.com
Wed Nov 24 13:31:38 EST 2004

Hello all,

I updated my CVS version of VTK yesterday, and I am having some errors
with my own library that uses VTK.

I wrote a reader object, derived from vtkVolumeReader, and I am getting
these error messages in the output window:

ERROR: In \Vtkcvs\Vtk\Filtering\vtkImageData.cxx, line 1471
vtkImageData (02B2BFD8): Attempt to allocate scalars before scalar type
was set!.

My reader used to work just fine before, but now it seems that it is
not passing a valid vtkImageData object to the rest of the pipeline. Did
some requirements change recently? If so, where can I find information
on this?

I was able to get rid of the error message by adding:

vtkInformation* pInfo = this->GetOutput()->GetPipelineInformation();
pInfo->Set(vtkDataObject::SCALAR_TYPE(), VTK_FLOAT);

in my reader code. However, even though I am not getting error message
anymore, the output is basically "empty", i.e. the size is wrong (my
guess is that it is returning [0..1] for all coordinates), and there
does not seem to be any data available.

Anyone here experiencing the same problem? I am at a bit of a loss,
here.

Thank you,

Charles