[vtkusers] How to write the volume(not a single BMP file) created by vtkvolumeraycastcompositefunction ?

Amy Henderson amy.henderson at kitware.com
Wed Nov 24 08:52:36 EST 2004

vtkVolumeRayCastCompositeFunction does not "create" a volume; it is used by
the ray cast mapper to display a volume.  If you did some processing on
your volume between loading it (reading it from file(s)) and rendering it,
you can save the input to the volume mapper as a volume data set.  For example,

renderWindow->Render();
vtkPNGWriter *writer = vtkPNGWriter::New();
writer->SetInput(volumeMapper->GetInput());
writer->SetFilePrefix("newVolume");
writer->Write();

If you only loaded the data and rendered it, you have not changed the
volume itself; in this case there would be nothing new to save to a volume
data set.

- Amy