[vtkusers] General question: how many ways to set window/level

Jichang-Startech jichang at startechsoft.net
Thu Nov 18 04:11:20 EST 2004

MessageHi, All.

This is a question I would like to clean my mind, rather than a spicific application.

The question is: how many ways to set window/level for an image, and how they are associated with what kind of pipeline, respectively.

The backgroud of asking this question is: I hope this question can be used as an example to  stimulate for a different discussion forum.

In using VTK, ITK as well, I feel that many concepts are buried in various class definitions. There are two problems associated with current documentation:

1. No explanation of the physical (or computational) meaning of a VTK terms, such as scale/shift in vtkImageShiftScale.
2. One concept can be applied in several classes depending what your application. And there is no summaried description on how to use them in different situation.

In other words, we probably need a forum to address the general conepts VTK used. I don't knwo how to address this issue, but I infer that many of you might have the same feeling and needs.

Thank you all for the attention.

Jichang