[vtkusers] Centroid of a surface

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at merck.com
Tue Nov 16 16:25:31 EST 2004

The identity that

integral du over V = integral u over boundary(V)

requires nothing other than some (piecewise) smoothness; to use it you have
to solve for u such that du = the form you want to integrate and that is the
hard part. It can be done easily for simple functions like x and on simple
surfaces like planes, lines, etc.

On the other hand, you certainly can tetrahedralize the object V, but rather
than just adding up centers of mass you need the volume-weighted average.

Note also that the center of mass of a tetrahedron is correctly given by the
formula; the "centroid" in the sense of barycenter is the center of mass of
a mass distribution concentrated on the vertices and is not the same as the
center of mass of a uniform mass distribution throughout the tetrahedron.

Reid Huntsinger