[vtkusers] Topology preserving mesh decimation

Hendrik Belitz h.belitz at fz-juelich.de
Fri Nov 5 05:31:16 EST 2004

Hello,

after I've found a work around for the creation of isosurfaces from binary
volume datasets, I need to decimate the resulting meshes up to 95%. One
important aspect is to keep the topology of the mesh - it still needs to be
2-manifold after decimation.

VTK Documentation only tells me that vtkDecimatePro has the ability to change
mesh topology (maybe there is some kind of switch to disallow topology
changes?). What about the other decimation filters? Is there any decimation
filter that retains the original mesh topology.

Hendrik Belitz
Central Institute of Electronics
Research Center Jülich
D-52428 Jülich, Germany