[vtkusers] IDL or, preaching VTK to the nonconverted

Jesse Neri neri at hobbes.nrl.navy.mil
Thu May 20 11:30:59 EDT 2004

I second most of what Joey Mukherlee said. I have programmed extensively in
both.
IDL is very good for data manipulation, and quick easy data display. If you
want
fine control of the data presentation, then IDL can bog down in the details
too.
VTK is only for data display, and you do the data handling on your own in
C++ or TK/TCL.
You can write nice GUI apps in both. However, you need a license everywhere
to be
writing in IDL. There is a free IDL display program for pre-canned
application.

VTK is highly portable. I have written VTK TK/TCL apps and run the same
files on
PC, Linux and SGI boxen without changing the app. You do have to get the VTK
and TK/TCL
libs installed on all the various platforms. Its not bad if you have systems
guys.

If you don't want to program and do detailed system installs, IDL is the way
to go.
The company is pretty good (I've been a customer for over 20 years). I like
the mouse driven
manipulation of the display in VTK, most of the IDL apps I've seen uses
sliders
to change the 3D view.

Jess

--
Jess Neri   neri at hobbes.nrl.navy.mil   (202) 404-4365
Pulsed Power Physics Branch, Plasma Physics Division