[vtkusers] VTK on AMD64 / x86_64

tom fogal tfogal at apollo.sr.unh.edu
Wed May 19 17:45:17 EDT 2004

That's exactly right. After getting ccmake to build (i had the 32-bit
version of ncurses, but not the 64, so it didn't build... silently)
and had someone who had built VTK before over my shoulder, we got it
working. I needed to explicitly set the opengl library dir.

hybrid 64/32 bit systems put 32 bit libraries in /usr/lib and
sometimes /lib. 64 bit libraries go in /usr/lib64 and sometimes
/lib64.. and of course all user-compiled libraries go in
/usr/local/lib, making /usr/local/lib mostly 64 bit (at least
for me)
X libraries work similarly: /usr/X11R6/lib64 for 64 bit libs and
/usr/X11R6/lib for 32 bit. I've got a custom built version of XF86
and /usr/X11R6/lib is practically empty, so anything that tries to
use it fails.

So adding /usr/X11R6/lib64 and /usr/lib64 to the default search
for libraries should be a good solution for future users. Make
sure to search them before searching their lib (non-64)
counterparts.

Thank you, Mathieu and Brad, your help is very much appreciated.

-tom

Btw, libtcl and libtk are both in /usr/local/lib; I built them
manually and thats where it defaults. Perhaps VTK expects a name
like 'libtk.so' - it might be important to note they are named
'lib<name><version>.so', as in:

libtcl8.4.so
libtk8.4.so
and