[vtkusers] VTK on AMD64 / x86_64

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Wed May 19 17:03:29 EDT 2004

tom fogal wrote:
> I tried rebuilding, in a different directory than the source, the entire
> VTK package.
> I can't use 'ccmake' - it didn't build. There were no failures, it just
> wasn't built when I made cmake; seemed like it wasn't even configured.
> I chalked it up to it not being supported on 64bit platforms.
> 'cmake -i' works well.
>
> The new build of VTK (with VTK_USE_RENDERING=OFF) built fine and didn't
> require me to jump through any hoops. It had some warnings but they
> seemed to be the same as in the builds whose logs I have posted.
> 'make Experimental' passes all 48 tests.
> Good to know it works, but I'll need the renderer unfortunately.

Ok, that's exactlly what I wanted, then it means that the build is
failing because cmake didn't find OpenGL and didn't complain...

So now turn VTK_USE_RENDERING=ON, and fill in:

	OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY

For some reason you have your libGL.so in a very special that is neither
one of them:

           /usr/lib
           /usr/local/lib
           /opt/graphics/OpenGL/lib
           /usr/openwin/lib
           /usr/X11R6/lib

So you'll have to edit CMakeCache.txt and fill OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY. Then
try to compile again.

> I also tried building in a different directory than the source with
> rendering enabled. I got the same 'missing -lGL' problem. I imagine
> I would end up with the same TCL issue as well but I disabled TCL
> for this build. This build crashes in the same place as my original
> email mentioned.

Could you send us the location of your libGL.so and libtk.so / libtcl.so

Thanks
Mathieu