[vtkusers] Projection of vtkPolyData

Petru Pau ppau at risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Wed May 12 05:39:22 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I am a beginner to VTK, and I started using this package because
it felt like the right tool to get things done. Seemingly though it is
not so easy...

A similar question has been asked before, but I did not see any
satisfactory answer.

I have a vtkPolyData which contains a triangular mesh of the surface
of some 3D object.

I need a vtkPolyData which contains the projection of a part of the
initial one on a given plane. More exactly, I need only the part of the
surface that is "visible" from the plane to be projected.The projection
should be parallel.

Basically, something similar is performed when a wireframe representation
of the vtkPolyData is rendered. In this case, VTK shows the hidden lines.
There are, therefore, two problems: how can I prevent showing the hidden
lines,
and, if this is solved, how can I grab the geometry of the displayed
object and make a vtkPolyData out of it.

Any help, hint, or pointer to documentation is highly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Petru