[vtkusers] voxel values in vtkImageData

Sean McInerney seanm at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu May 6 21:16:01 EDT 2004

First, please read this message with an appropriately stoned-sounding
voice in mind. Okay, ready?

It's all in your head mannnnnnnnnnnnnn.

I know voxels (volume pixels for the uninitiated) represent a volume in
space. This, however, is the unreal world and whatever they represent is
secondary to the fact that they are quanta ... discrete point samples
... atomic. Therefore, all of the imaging operations that may be applied
to voxels work with VTK's current implementation. Suppose that your
image volume were to be represented by n+1 vertices in any dimension and
the values held in cell attributes rather than point attributes ... all
image processing would have to proceed as if they where discreet values
of the center of each cell ... i.e. treating them like point values.

dooooooooooooooooood! Pass the ......

Though we live in a world that seems infinitely divisible, image
operations are efficient in that they essentially deal with discreet and
regular point samples. The place where I can see your point having some
potential impact is this: should the origin exist at (0, 0, 0) or
shifted half a voxel size in each dimension.

BTW, this is a perennial question ... mannnnnnnnnn.

-Sean