[vtkusers] Porting Problem - Please Help!

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Mar 25 14:19:15 EST 2004

gcope at engin.umich.edu wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I recently had to switch work machines and am having major problems
> getting my previously fine itk/vtk applications to compile. I hope someone
> can save me from adding to the several hours I've already spent on the
> problem.
>
> The compile error I am getting says that there are ambiguous calls the
> overloaded function "vcl_sqrt" in an Itk segmentation algorithm. With all
> Itk functions commented out, the Vtk functions compile and run fine.
>
> Here are my configurations:
>
> Old PC
> -------------
> Windows XP
> Vtk 4.2.2
> Itk 1.2.0
> Cmake 1.6.7
>
> New PC
> -------------
> Windows 2000
> Vtk 4.2.2
> Itk 1.6.0
> Cmake 1.8.3
>

> The only thing that I can think of that would cause the inconsistency
> between the two machines is if I somehow compiled Itk incorrectly on the
> new PC. Everything seemed to be fine. The only odd thing that I noticed is
> that there was not flag for "USE_VTK" in the Cmake options when creating
> the build files for Itk. Vtk seemed to compile fine (with USE_ANSI_STDLIB
> on). Does anyone have any ideas?

I strongly suspect this is an ITK problem, so I'd prefer to move
discussion to the ITK users list.

The "USE_VTK" option was removed in ITK 1.4 because the VTK-dependent
applications were moved into a separate "InsightApplications" tree
outside of the main ITK tree.

In order to help you I'll need a bit more information.  Did ITK compile
successfully and it is your application that includes both ITK and VTK
that fails to build?  Also, please post the exact error messages your
compiler produces.

Thanks,
-Brad