[vtkusers] I think this is the problem......

James C. Robinson j.robinson at kepler-systems.com
Thu Mar 18 19:24:08 EST 2004

Goodwin,

Many thanks for the reply. You may have solved my particular technical issue
(its late, so I'll wait until morning to implement) but you have also gone a
long way to proving my point.

My request is not to have a step-by-step guide to every object in vtk, the
request is to have a step by step guide to a solution. Nobody (who is not a
developer is interested in the detail (although, as it stands, the detail is
what helps make the decisions). My particular issue (FE blah di blah....) is
common to an awful lot of people. I have received a number (not huge, but
encouraging) of e-mails that support my point of view. It is probable that
the significance of the difference between similar filters is only clear in
a context (in the context of trying to achieve a particular end). Your
explanation of the relationship between the filters etc pertinent to my case
is quite clear and simply stated. I am not saying that an entire picture of
the library's functionality could be built up overnight, but contributions
such as yours in a sensible online format would build into the documentation
to which I would aspire.

Sincerely,

Jim
______________________