[vtkusers] I think this is the problem......

Jeff Lee jeff at cdnorthamerica.com
Thu Mar 18 14:59:35 EST 2004

James C. Robinson wrote:

>Jeff,
>
>I have way too much of it (ego) for it to be damaged so easily. I am only
>interested in results.
>
>P89 of my User's Guide is on about :
>

>"Sometimes scalar data is actually color....."
>
>It doesn't (explicitly) refer to vtkPolyDataMapper or vtkDataSetMapper.

Look for "Extract Cells As Polygonal Data" (p.104 in your version).

>Anyway, we could bounce this around all we want. I am convinced that there
>are gaps in the documentation and that given the effort and work put in VTK
>could be easier to "get into". The way programming should be going is the
>have really clunkable libraries to put together.

What?  Yes, we all agree there could be more done to ease the learning
curve in vtk.  But honestly, vtk is very complex, and like all complex
subjects, takes effort to understand.  If you are writing an application
using vtk, you will need to understand how vtk works under-the-hood - it
is a toolkit, not a black-box.  so dig in.  vtk... the other-other
white-meat.

>VTK is excellent, but not
>quite there.

Much closer to being "there" than anything else available.  Will it be
"there" after you get the documentation you are looking for?

>Thanks for your time.

Any Time.