A WikiBook for VTK (was RE: [vtkusers] I think this is the problem.....)

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Mar 18 12:32:59 EST 2004

    AC> Hi Prabhu, If there is interest, I can setup Wiki on our web
    AC> server.

Andy, thanks for the immediate offer!

A Wiki is certainly a good idea.  Where and if folks write a
user-contributed book is still an open question.  I am not sure what
the benefits are for writing a book in www.wikibooks.org as against
doing it on any Wiki.  Also, before you go ahead and install it
perhaps you might want to check what the best available (in terms of
long term availability, features etc.) Wiki is and use that.  I have
very little experience and have used MoinMoin which is quite good.
However, I also noticed that TWiki uses RCS underneath to keep all old
versions.  Perhaps newer versions of MoinMoin also do this, I am not
sure.  So anyway you'll need to check before doing this.

Again, more feedback is necessary before we take the plunge.  If
however, it is a trivial matter for you to setup a good Wiki, I don't
see why it would be a bad idea.

Finally, the usefulness of the Wiki depends on the users.  My guess is
even if 2% of the users here contribute something reasonable we'll
have something thats pretty decent.

Of course, don't expect me to write anything in the next month or
two. :)

regards,
prabhu