[vtkusers] Dilemma

James C. Robinson j.robinson at kepler-systems.com
Mon Mar 15 07:26:55 EST 2004

Dear All,

My transition from 4.0 to 4.2 is not going entirely smoothly. I have managed
to get the quad hexes to work (as in it doesn't crash) - thanks to all
(John, David & Mathieu). The issue was the access violation that was
corrected by John in one of the revisions. However, I am managing to get a
3D view now, but the behaviour is not what I had hoped. The wireframe view,
which should show the outer edges of the quad hexes now shows what appear to
be tets (this is a little like the problem I have with the vtkCutter that
shows the cut element edges as triangle). This may be an issue with
compiling a later revision of the appropriate object (vtkFeatureEdges) or it
could be more complicated than that. (NB: I would still like to hear from
any generous soul who has implemented a filter to create the correct edges
of a cut quad hex - or hex for that matter).

So, the ultimate dilemma is - what version of VTK should I use? Where on the
site does it state the current state of play eg:
V4.0 Date last revision - known bugs Status (no longer maintained)
V4.2 Date last revision - Official Release - known bugs Status (finished
development - maintained)
V4.4 Date last revision - Interim Release known bugs Status (In
development - maintained)
V4.6 Date last revision - Not Released (est. date) known bugs Status (In
development - maintained)
What is v4.5 and where does one get the source (if one wants it)?
The page "Get the software" doesn't give all of this.

I am probably continuing to display my ignorance in regard the whole
approach/objective, but it does start to get a little messy and confusing
(when all one wants is a library that does a,b,c).

Thanks for your continued patience and interest.

Jim

______________________

James C. Robinson, PhD,
Chartered Engineer,