[vtkusers] VTK on HP UX - Fickering and expose events

R K Shyam Prakash ramakrishna.prakash at quest-global.com
Fri Mar 12 07:24:14 EST 2004

Hi,
        I have been trying to run my vtk+java application on HP UX 11.0.
Following are my observation.

I built VTK 4.2 release on HP UX using HP's aCC compiler. But there was
lot of flickering while rendering the 3d view to a extent that my
application was unusable. So I dug through the VTK mail archives and I
found that few python users had similar problems. The work around was to
remove the SetWindowId function and replace it with SetParentId. Hence I
made the following changes to vtkJavaAwt.h

                      ORIGINAL
JAWT_X11DrawingSurfaceInfo* dsi_x11;
dsi_x11 = (JAWT_X11DrawingSurfaceInfo*)dsi->platformInfo;
temp0->SetDisplayId((void *)dsi_x11->display);
temp0->SetWindowId((void *)dsi_x11->drawable);
temp0->SetParentId((void *)dsi_x11->display);

                        MODIFIED
JAWT_X11DrawingSurfaceInfo* dsi_x11;
dsi_x11 = (JAWT_X11DrawingSurfaceInfo*)dsi->platformInfo;
temp0->SetDisplayId((void *)dsi_x11->display);
//temp0->SetWindowId((void *)dsi_x11->drawable);
temp0->SetParentId((void *)dsi_x11->drawable);

I could build the code with this modification and the welcome relief was
that there was no flickering with this set of binaries. But I have a new
problem now. When ever my application regains focus after being
overlapped by some other window, the vtkCanvas does not get repainted
(it remains black). It will remain in this state until a mouseClick or
mousePress event is invoked on it. So I added WindowStateListener to my
JFrame and forcefully called Render() on vtkCanvas whenever my
application regained focus. The result was some what satisfactory. Now I
have a new problem. Suppose through my application I invoke a dialog
which contains a vtkCanvas, when the dialog is disposed my application
freezes with a black 3d window.

I tried TestInternalFrames demo program and when I moved one internal
frame over another the application froze.

Is anybody using vtk with java on HP UX? Can you please help me. My
application developent is totally hampered by this problem and despite
my best efforts I have not been able to get a workaround.

Thanks
Shyam

Disclaimer:

This electronic message and all attachments contain information from
QuEST, which may be confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
The information is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the
addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of
this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message
in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the message.