[vtkusers] vtkRenderWindowInteractor

James C. Robinson j.robinson at kepler-systems.com
Fri Mar 12 06:12:19 EST 2004

Mathieu,

Oh dear. I have just realised that vtkRenderWindowInteractor does not have a
vtkInteractorStyle object anymore. InteractorStyle is now a
vtkInteractorObserver. This is a problem for those of us who have used
methods of vtkInteractorStyle (on the instance InteractorStyle) since
vtkInteractorStyle is inherited from vtkInteractorObserver and not the other
way around.

Am I missing the point? If not, why was this done? I use
GetInteractorStyle() 8 times in my code (see last e-mail on the subject).
How am I now supposed to get at these methods (perform these tasks).

As a matter of information, the reason why I use
AutoAdjustCameraClippingRangeOff() is because for problems where the overall
dimension is very big (let's say an object 4000m across) when one zooms in
to see detail (let's say something around 0.2m wide) within that space, the
near plane is set at something like 1%, which in this case would be 40m.
This means that a lot of the detail is clipped as you zoom in. Is there
another fix for this (like setting a near plane % lower than 1%)?

I obviously could write a new version myself, but I do not want to have to
start maintaining my own version of VTK.

Similarly with the
  Interactor->GetInteractorStyle()->OnChar(0,0,'t',0) ; //Trackball
Instruction. Here I am trying to control the behaviour of the interface and
keep it fixed. I s there a more elegant way?

Regards,

Jim
______________________

James C. Robinson, PhD,