[vtkusers] How to generate X-Ray Projection

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Sun Jun 27 14:46:00 EDT 2004

Hello,

>1. I want to generate X-Ray 2D image from the 3D volume. Some articles on
>the internet mention that MIP projection can produce image look likes
>X-Ray image, and some articles mention about "average intensity
>projection" should be used to obtain X-Ray image. Which one (or both) was
>wrong?

A MIP projection is a "maximum intensity projection" - the maximum value
encountered along the ray (either raw scalar or opacity mapping) is used
for resulting pixel value in the image. Therefore it is not like an x-ray
in which (usually) the whole volume contributes to the final image. Average
would be closer to an x-ray but remember this is just a rough
approximation. You could also write a ray cast function that models x-ray
attenuation (absorption and scattering) but keep in mind that the ray cast
mapper only cast primary rays so you couldn't account for any second-order
scattering effecfts.

Lisa