[vtkusers] VTK Performance and SMP

Cameron N. Perry cnperry at ucsd.edu
Mon Jun 14 17:47:46 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm not too familiar with VTK quite yet, but I have a few questions
which some of you may be able to answer regarding VTK and system
performance. My lab is planning on purchasing a cluster and your answers
will greatly help us decide what configurations are best.

1) Is SMP native to VTK (i.e. no additional SMP programming req'd)?
2) When using SMP, how large/small is the performance increase with a
second processor?
3) Are there any stability issues with SMP (sorry. I have to ask)?
4) What processor seems to have the best performance with VTK (i.e. P4,
Opteron, Xeon, etc.)?
5) How efficient is VTK's memory management?

Thanks much! I really appreciate your help.
Cameron Perry

--
Cameron N. Perry
UCSD, Center for Functional MRI