[vtkusers] vtkCountourFilter and "closed" surfaces

Alexander Fiksel alexf at coherentsolutions.com
Mon Jun 14 17:05:29 EDT 2004

Hello,
I am using vtkCountourFilter->vtkDecimate-> vtkSmoothPolyDataFilter to gerenerate isosurfaces. My 3D is set of slices over Z axis and the data has a cylindrical symmetry. So, when I apply the  vtkCountourFilter,  the isosurface looks like a tube along Z axis. My problem is that this tube is "open" from both ends (as it should be), but I want this tube to be "closed" at the ends to look like a cylinder, not a tube. I tried to accomplish it by zeroing the data at the first and last slice. It works, but sometimes the surface at the both ends looks wrong. I can make it look correct by decreasing the RelaxationFactor of the SmoothFilter, but it makes the entire surface look rough.

Is there any other way to create such "closed" isosurfaces?

Thanks,
Alex