[vtkusers] Wiki

James Robinson j.robinson at kepler-systems.com
Fri Jul 30 12:36:12 EDT 2004

Prabhu,

I am not familiar with Wiki, its philosophy, functionality etc., but it
occurs to me that if you have two forums (current user group & Wiki) then
people will be inclined to concentrate their efforts on one. In the way the
world works, people are slow to change from their current habits (if it
ain't broke....) and therefore leaving it up to the users to get value from
the Wiki might mean it not catching on so quickly (it wouldn't be the first
time I'd been proven wrong in my theories).

What I was getting at was the idea of the Wiki being proposed as the new
users list/forum. Surely it would provide the same functionality as the
simple list that we have now, but would automatically organise the queries
and responses? It does have the functionality to permit people to pose a
question or start a topic doesn't it? The issue is whether it can
automatically generate a list type message whereby new queries & answers can
be retrieved from the topics on the Wiki and then be e-mailed to the user
list. People who want to reply to a query could then go to the Wiki (I am
assuming that a link to the particular topic can be included under every new
posting) to reply. Their new comments would then be filtered from the system
for the next automatic e-mail.

It is quite likely that I am describing functionality that isn't part of the
Wiki, but I think it is a mechanism which would greatly enhance the flow of
information.

Regards,

Jim

James C Robinson, PhD, Chartered Engineer,
CEO,
Kepler Engineering Software Ltd.,
+     42 Rivergrove,
         Glanmire,