[vtkusers] haptic devices

Chris Volpe cvolpe at ara.com
Fri Jul 16 19:46:22 EDT 2004

Rusty Blue (now at Kitware) and I have spent a few years working with
the PHANToM in VTK while we were working at GE-CRD (now GE Global
Research). We developed a VTK wrapper on top of GHOST that utilized
multiple threads and synchronization primitives to communicate between
the 1000Hz haptic loop and the 30 (or so) Hz VTK/Tcl/Tk GUI and
rendering loop. We didn't use any vtk renderer callbacks, but we did
have a Tk timer event that would invoke a method in our wrapper that
would update positions and orientations of virtual objects under
synchronized access with a critical section object. Then it would render
and reset the timer to trigger again. I don't recall the specifics of
the Tk timer stuff, but I remember it was a bit tricky because,
depending on which version of Tcl/Tk we were running, the timer code
would either chew up the CPU, or wouldn't allow mouse/keyboard events to
be processed in a timely fashion, or some other such weirdness.

Chris

Behalf