[vtkusers] Compilation problem using Visual Studio .NET2003 ...

Charles Boivin Charles.Boivin at rwdiwest.com
Fri Jul 16 15:24:44 EDT 2004

Hello Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I have done as you suggested and downloaded CMake 2.0. "Visual Studio 7
.NET 2003" was not available in the version of CMake I had before, so
that really helped things. I was able to go through the whole process of
CMake and it generated a solution file with all the necessary projects.
Nice. Compilation went very smoothly, I did not have to add anything
this time.

However, when I go and try to link the SDI MFC app to the library I
compiled, I end up with all those linking error messages regarding
OpenGL. This app was compiling (and running) fine when I was linking to
the binaries I downloaded from the net. What is even more strange is
that all the tests run fine, and I do see some small windows appear with
3D stuff in them so obviously, it is possible to run some things with
VTK.

I wonder if the fact that I compiled the libraries static has anything
to do with it? The binaries were DLL libraries. Can't see why that would
make any difference, however. So I am still puzzled by this one.

Oh, and one more thing.. the binary version of the libraries had a nice
"include" directory that was generated and all I had to do to compile
the MFC app was to add it as an include directory. Going through CMake,
it seems that this does not get generated so I have to fetch the
different include files in the various folders... I wonder if it's
possible to get the "include" directory with all the include files in
them as well?

Thank you for your time... Hopefully someone will have encountered that
problem before.

Charles Boivin

>>> "William A. Hoffman" <billlist at nycap.rr.com> 07/16/04 09:30am >>>
For Visual Studio .NET 2003, you should select the "Visual Studio 7
.NET 2003"
option in the Build for of CMakeSetup and not Visual Studio 7.  You
may
also want to try a more recent version of CMake, although 1.6 should
work, but you will
have to pick the correct compiler.  (cmake 2.0 will default to the
compiler you have
installed on the machine.)

One more note, once you have configured a directory with cmake for a
particular compiler,
you have to remove the directory if you want to change the compiler.