[vtkusers] LS-Dyna

John Platt jcplatt at lineone.net
Wed Jul 14 16:23:53 EDT 2004

Hi Rupert,

I have just about got a first release candidate for a Windows app which
interfaces to PAFEC-FE. The approach I adopted was to create
vtkUnstructuredGrid objects directly from the FE-database and then
filter and render as required. You can get prototype results very
quickly but dealing with the detail of complex FE meshes takes
considerably more effort.

Using ParaView for the filtering and visualization should save you a lot
of work. You should first check it can process all aspects of your data
by creating, say, a vtk data files. Make sure you don't skip the
'awkward' details!

Here are some areas in vtk 4.4 which may cause some hair loss

1. Display of discontinuous node data.
2. Quadratic elements (although I seem to recall that explicit codes
tend to use lots of linear elements).
3. Simultaneous display of faces and edges without duplication of point
and scalar data.
4. Filters which will load scalar/cell data on demand - particularly for
transient work.
5. Coincident faces from 2-D & 3-D elements and merging of coincident
points.
6. Dealing with cells which don't have the selected result type.

At this point I am hoping that Mathieu will respond with done, done,
done, ... :-)

I still have some hair left so it can be done but not in a week!

John.