[vtkusers] Re: 3D Axes For User Orientation...

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Tue Jul 13 17:45:07 EDT 2004

Hi Andrea,

This class would have appeared in cvs about the 20th May onwards. vtk4.4.2
was created at the end of March so it wont be in the python wrappers of vtk
4.2. Maybe someone who builds the nightly dist with python could send you
their binaries.

Alternatively, I have a pure tcl implementation which you could translate to
python and use. Its here:
http://www.bioengineering-research.com/vtk/axes_example2.tcl

Here's how I use the new c++ classes in tcl anyway. It should be pretty
similar to python.

vtkAnnotatedCubeActor acube
    [acube GetCubeProperty] SetRepresentationToWireframe
    [acube GetCubeProperty] SetAmbient 1
    [acube GetCubeProperty] SetDiffuse 0
    acube TextEdgesOff
vtkAxesActor aaxes
vtkPropAssembly marker
    marker AddPart aaxes
    marker AddPart aactor
vtkOrientationMarkerWidget orientWidget
    orientWidget SetOrientationMarker marker
    orientWidget SetInteractor iren
    orientWidget On

hth,

Goodwin

"Andrea Gavana" <andrea.gavana at polymtl.ca> wrote in message
news:1089751631.40f44a4fdc9aa at www.imp.polymtl.ca...
Selon Amy Henderson <amy.henderson at kitware.com>:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Try using vtkOrientationMarkerWidget. Take a look at
> VTK/Hybrid/Testing/Cxx/TestOrientationMarkerWidget.cxx
>
> - Amy

Hi Amy,

   thank you a lot for your suggestion... I think that probably it is too
complicated for me (I know I know, I should learn C/C++, but Python is so
nice
and simple...). I don't have Python here at home, and I don't know if this
class is present in the vtkpython wrappers (Python 2.3, VTK 4.2.4). I will
try
it tomorrow, but I don't have a big expectation on my ability to understand
the
example in VTK/Hybrid/Testing/Cxx/TestOrientationMarkerWidget.cxx (and also
understand what the documentation for vtkOrientationMarkerWidget says about
it... it is quite complex for a non-english person ;-) ).
   Anyway, thank you for your interest on this question. If someone else has
other suggestion, please let me know.

Andrea.