[vtkusers] Python GUI App using Cocoa?

Robert Brown brownr at ucalgary.ca
Tue Jul 13 17:39:47 EDT 2004

We have a GUI Python application using VTK on the Mac.  Right now we're
using Tkinter for the GUI.  We'd like to switch over and use Cocoa.

With Tkinter, vtkTkRenderWindowInteractor is a widget you can add to a
Tk window.  This widget gets along fine with the Tk event loop and it's
not necessary to start the VTK interactor.  Is there an equivalent with
the Cocoa interface?  Cocoa vtkRenderWindows don't allow any
interaction unless you call Start() on an interactor.  This function
call doesn't return until the windows are closed.  Also, closing one
window will close them all.

I see there are vtkCocoaWindow and vtkCocoaGLView classes but these
don't seem to be wrapped in Python.  Is this what I'm looking for?  If
so, it can probably be used from Python with PyObjC.