[vtkusers] Mac OSX stuck between 4.2 and 4.4

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 21 01:33:29 EST 2004

I would appreciate help or any ideas about the following dilemma:

There is a vtk package in Fink, based on the 4.2 release, that works
with X11 and is doing more or less OK for the C++ and Tcl/Tk interfaces.
I am using it to build and run HiVision, a scientific visualization
platform http://www.hiflow.de/HiVision/ . I am the Fink maintainer of
both the vtk and the hivision packages.

The Python wrapper does not work in this version of VTK, and I have
learned that for a working Python wrapper on OSX 10.3, one needs at
least VTK version 4.4. This would be needed for MayaVi, for example.

In fact, I have made Fink packages for vtk-4.4, based on a recent CVS
snapshot, and for mayavi-1.3, using X11 and Fink's python-2.3. These
seem to be working OK, but I cannot release them into Fink, because
vtk-4.4 breaks hivision, due to the incompatible API changes in vtk-4.4.

HiVision does not work with the new API changes, mainly the
float->double change, but there are probably other incompatibilities.
HiVision is not going to use the new API as long as the latest released
version of VTK is 4.2.

So the MacOSX users of VTK are stuck in an uncomfortable place between
VTK versions 4.2 and 4.4. I would like to see any ideas about the
following three questions:

1. Is there a possibility to backport the python wrapper fixes for OSX
10.3 and python 2.3 from VTK-4.4 to VTK-4.2? Right now, since these
fixes were applied in CVS after the float->double change and after the
introduction of the "KIT" business, I don't see an easy way for such a
backport.

2. If 1. is impossible, is there a kind of "compatibility kit" that lets
applications written for VTK-4.2 compile with 4.4?

2. If 2. is impossible, too, is there a way to have two different
versions of VTK coexist peacefully? Unfortunately, the cmake build
system does not create version numbers for dynamic libraries like
libtool does. Plus, there are a lot of python modules that seem to need
to live in unversioned vtk_python or similar directories, so that I
don't see how one could have two versions of vtk simultaneously.

Any help appreciated
--
Martin