[vtkusers] Kitware mail server security...

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at ewi.tudelft.nl
Sun Feb 29 17:44:29 EST 2004

Antoine ROSSET wrote:

>>Because you're sending emails from a verizon.net DSL ip-number, i.e. not
>>a recognized MTA hostname/ip-number.  This is a valid and unfortunately
>>necessary requirement for helping to filter out spam.
>

> Yes, but I'm NOT spam!!!!!!
>
> This means simply one thing: These software DON'T work... And you should not
> use them.... Simple...

How should the server know that your mails are not spam?  What if I (the
evil spammer) were to send emails from *my* DSL IP-number with YOUR name
and email in the From: field?

The server unfortunately has no way to authenticate the sender of the
email, so it has to be strict with regards to the originating IP-number.

We only have the spammers to thank for these measures...