[vtkusers] Texture-mapping based volume rendering

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Wed Feb 25 12:54:44 EST 2004

Hello Weiguang,

There is an end-user application (VolView) built on top of VTK that has 3D
texture mapping support on Windows for some Nvidia and ATI cards - you can
find info on it here (http://www.kitware.com/products/volview.html) and
download it to test out performance on your system.

Performance tends to be fairly good - although we do use a few
"level-of-detail" tricks to ensure interactive performance (at least
several frames per second) for large datasets rendered into large images.
In addition, since texture download rates are still awful, we do not render
data bigger than can fit in texture memory on the card (automatic
downsampling is used) - which often leads to a limit of 256x256x128 when
you consider all the "extra" data necessary to produce a shaded image that
has transfer functions based on both scalar value and gradient opacity...

Lisa