[vtkusers] outline of a mesh

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Tue Feb 24 17:36:42 EST 2004

Terry Hastings wrote:
> hi mathieu thank u for your response
> so i should use a geometry filter on my original mesh to get the outline?
> won't this not help with my speed problem because the pipeline is
> processing many more nodes/elements and then again going through this
> extra GeometryFilter..?

There are lots of different way for speed issue. See:

http://vtk.org/cgi-bin/vtkfaq?req=show&file=faq03.007.htp

I guess vtkStripper + vtkLODActor should give good results. Or use
ParaView for display.

> i thought unstructured grid could represent any type of combo of cells
> types..?

Of course this possible. Check this pdf:

	http://vtk.org/pdf/file-formats.pdf (*)

For your crash make sure you have the right number of cell scalars now
that you have decresase the number of points. If you are convince this
is a VTK bug, fill a bug at

	http://vtk.org/Bug

Providing a simple code that repduce it. Or just send a vtk datafile
that can not be opened with ParaView while still respecting the vtk file
format (*).

HTH
Mathieu