[vtkusers] Combined surface + wireframe view

Josh Snyder jsnyder at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 23 10:55:25 EST 2004

I've taken the same approach (seperate actors and mappers for edges and
geometry), but with a polydata with many polygons, the addition of the
second mapper and actor for edges produces a very noticeable slow down.
I don't know a lot about what's going on behind the scenes, but it seems
like this would be doing two rendering passes for one geometry. Is this
necessary at the OpenGL level, or is there a way of getting both eges
and faces without additional overhead? In other words, if
EdgeVisibilityOn were to be implemented in VTK, would it only affect how
we construct our pipelines, or would it be possible to get a performance
benefit as well?

Thanks,

Josh