[vtkusers] Re: Compilation problems under Sparc/Solaris

Sean McInerney seanm at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 19 14:18:13 EST 2004

The exact reasons why this error occurs are hard to pinpoint ... except
to say that it results from an improperly assembled object file. When
this is not caused by a bug in the assembler, it probably results from
the object file being truncated when written as in the case of the disk
being full. Use of GNU binutils with GCC on Solaris may also be the
source of your woes. Use of Sun's assembler and linker (in /usr/ccs/bin)
may solve your problem. Even better would be use of the most recent
release of GCC. VTK builds without incident with GCC 3.3.2 on Solaris 9
SPARC.

-Sean