[vtkusers] trying to get VTK up and running on a PC

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Feb 16 11:19:19 EST 2004

Reagan Penner wrote:
> Help needed.
>
> Hello, I am trying to get VTK up and running on my PC and am having some
> problems. This is what I have done so far:
>
> I have used CMake to create a project for MS visual studio .NET 2003.
> The output directory of CMake stuff is c:\vtk_bin. I make sure that
> CMake is building the project for visual studio 7 .NET 2003 and then
> click configure, I then get a whole bunch of red lines at which point I
> click configure again. Now all the lines are gray so I go ahead and
> click OK at which point CMake goes away (seems to do something and then
> quit). I then check my drive and notice that CMake has created the
> c:\vtk_bin directory and placed some files in it.
>
> My c:\vtk_bin directory contains a CMakeTmp directory along with a whole
> bunch of files:
> I seem to have .vcproj for ALL_BUILD, cmVTK_GENERATE_JAVE_DEPENDENCIES,
> cmVTK_MAKE_INSTANTIATOR2, cmVTK_WRAP_JAVA2, cmVTK_WRAP_PYTHON2,
> cmVTK_WRAP_TCL2 along with a number of other .cache and .cmake files.
>
> My question is, what do I do now. Do I have to build the project some
> how or can I start running the examples. I tried building ALL_BUILD but
> do not know where to go from here.

Make sure BUILD_EXAMPLES was set to "ON" in the cmake GUI and click
Configure/OK again.  Open VTK.sln with visual studio, select the
ALL_BUILD project, and build it.  Then you should find the example
executables in vtk_bin/bin/Debug or vtk_bin/bin/Release depending on the
configuration you selected in visual studio for the build.

-Brad