[vtkusers] trying to get VTK up and running on a PC

Reagan Penner rpenner at cs.usask.ca
Mon Feb 16 11:01:38 EST 2004

Help needed.

Hello, I am trying to get VTK up and running on my PC and am having some
problems. This is what I have done so far:

I have used CMake to create a project for MS visual studio .NET 2003.
The output directory of CMake stuff is c:\vtk_bin. I make sure that
CMake is building the project for visual studio 7 .NET 2003 and then
click configure, I then get a whole bunch of red lines at which point I
click configure again. Now all the lines are gray so I go ahead and
click OK at which point CMake goes away (seems to do something and then
quit). I then check my drive and notice that CMake has created the
c:\vtk_bin directory and placed some files in it.

My c:\vtk_bin directory contains a CMakeTmp directory along with a whole
bunch of files:
I seem to have .vcproj for ALL_BUILD, cmVTK_GENERATE_JAVE_DEPENDENCIES,
cmVTK_MAKE_INSTANTIATOR2, cmVTK_WRAP_JAVA2, cmVTK_WRAP_PYTHON2,
cmVTK_WRAP_TCL2 along with a number of other .cache and .cmake files.

My question is, what do I do now. Do I have to build the project some
how or can I start running the examples. I tried building ALL_BUILD but
do not know where to go from here. When I try to run one of the tcl
examples (MaceTk.tcl) I get the following error "can't find package
vtkcommon 4.2 ...".

any help with this would be greatly appreciated, NOTE I am new to VTK,
CMake and visual studio so please bare with me.

thanks .............. Reagan Penner