[vtkusers] about volume rendering in medicine.

Lisa Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Mon Feb 9 17:51:11 EST 2004

Hello,

This is not an easy issue - the transfer function maps scalar value to
opacity, and if you map a range of values to 0 opacity that "structure"
will become invisible in your volume rendered image. The issue is then
truly understanding the scalar values in your data set, and creating a
transfer function that shows what you want to see. The transfer function is
essentially a very simple segmentation of the data - you must perform that
segmentation carefully.

This is the same issue that can arise when viewing an image with window and
level - you can set these values in such a way that you have lost
structures into region that are entirely black or white according to your
window and level settings. The typical solution here is to set a default
that shows everything, and let the user interactively adjust this.

Lisa